Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Remnant

A little over a week ago, I wrote a blog entitled 'Sick Day'. In it I spoke of my discouragement with the United Methodist Church and had basically decided to leave. In the time since then, much has happened. My friends returned from General Conference with news that all of the agendas being pushed by the ultra-liberal groups within the denomination had been shot down. Our church's laws in our Book of Discipline would not be changed to something contrary to the bible. It was due mainly to our brethren from Africa standing firm on biblical teachings that this happened. Though not everything went as we had hoped, enough happened to give many of us renewed hope in the UMC and a renewed vigor to continue to fight for our beliefs. I have decided to continue to fight the good fight. Even though some within our denomination view us as crazy and some even accuse us of being hatemongers, we will continue to stand our ground and stand for the Holy Bible being God's inspired Word.We simply believe that the bible is the truth. It means that what God calls sin in His Word is still sin to this day. It doesn't mean we hate anyone. We simply will not back down from our beliefs. Aside from this, the outpouring of love from my church family melted my heart. They understood my reasons for feeling the way I do, but truly did not want me to leave. Some of what they said broke my heart. I had to remind them that is was nothing of their doing that made me feel like leaving, but my discontent at the governing body of the denomination itself. That feeling continues, but I know that more good can be done from the inside, than looking in from the outside. So, my friends, I will not be leaving my home church. I will continue to stand for my beliefs. I will continue to be a part of the remnant. God bless you my friends, Pete.

No comments:

Post a Comment